The Holocaust Educational Foundation was established nearly four decades ago by survivors, their children, and their friends in order to preserve and promote awareness of the Holocaust of European Jews. In 2013, after many years of cooperation, HEF joined Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, where it is now a division of Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences (WCAS).
The Foundation is dedicated to providing resources for college- and university-level educators who teach or want to begin offering courses about the Holocaust in a range of fields, including history, literature, Jewish studies, film studies, and psychology. The Foundation also supports faculty and graduate students whose research is focused on the Holocaust. HEF’s contributions to the work of educators and scholars take several forms:
- The biennial Lessons & Legacies conference is an opportunity for scholars to present original research on the Holocaust. Interested graduate students and faculty – even those who are not presenting – are encouraged to attend.
- Research and teaching grants provide financial support to scholars who wish to conduct research on the Holocaust and to educators who want to create or expand Holocaust-focused course at an institution of higher education.
- Summer Institutes at Northwestern University and in Europe offer two weeks of intensive seminars with top scholars in the field. These seminars are intended for faculty and graduate students and provide fellows a strong grounding in the latest research and teaching methodology about the Holocaust and Jewish Civilization.
- Lectures on Northwestern’s Evanston campus bring distinguished visiting scholars to campus to discuss the newest research in the field of Holocaust studies, allow Northwestern students and faculty to share their own work, and educate students and community members about the Holocaust.
- The Certificate in Holocaust Studies offers Northwestern undergraduates the opportunity to study the Holocaust in-depth during their time on campus.
- Educators in Holocaust studies can visit the Holocaust Educational Foundation’s list of Links and Resources for more information about teaching the Holocaust.